Thursday 13 August 2009

I’ve got a Phonesave Account with the Alliance and Leicester Bank.
And when I checked I found it was only paying .1% interest. For the non-mathematically minded, that’s a tenth of 1% – gross. The net is .08%. You can’t think that small. So closing the account became a priority.

It has one of those 0845 numbers and the sales screed says it’s open 24 hours a day 7 days a week ad infinitum. So I dialled it. And I dialled it again … and again … But it’s a dead line. I mean. What the hell use is a dead line on a Phonesave Account. It’s like having a lead lifebelt on a riverbank.

Anyway, not to be deterred I went online. My fallback plan was to shift all the money out of my Phonesave into my current account. But it wouldn’t let me. No matter what I did I always ended up having to leave the last pound in the Phonesave – to keep the account open. But I don’t want to keep the account open. It’s a no-good account. It doesn’t pay interest and its line is dead. At least, the number I’ve got is dead.

Am I missing something here?